Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Gigi



Just after midnight on January 29th, my Grandma (James's Gigi) passed away after a 3-year long battle with colorectal cancer.  She died peacefully at home, with Grandpa, my sister Emily, and I by her side.  Emily and I were very fortunate in that we both have very understanding husbands and neither of us are currently working, and we were able to spend the better part of the last couple of months in Indiana helping take care of Grandma (hence, the lack of blog posts).

Grandma was the most generous, caring, and selfless woman I have ever known.  In my 30 years, I never heard her say an unkind thing about another human being.  Even throughout all of her chemo and radiation treatments, the only complaint (if you could call it that) I ever heard come out of her mouth was that she was tired.  I miss her terribly and will every day for the rest of my life, but I'm finding comfort in the fact that she is no longer suffering and has been reunited with my mom in heaven.  We love you, Gigi!

 
Norma Jane Price Stengel
October 14, 1921
January 29, 2012

Prayer written by my Grandpa in honor of my Grandma

Grandma's Eulogy, given by Grandpa (Note: I had to break the video into three separate parts due to time constraints from you tube.  The entire thing is 21 minutes long.)



Grandpa & Grandma on their wedding day.  March 1, 1949.
Grandma and Grandpa's Wedding Party

Matthew, Kevin, and Leah with Grandma & Grandpa.  1982.
At the Farm.  Early 80s.

Grandma, Emily, Leah, & Matthew.  1985.
Leah, Grandma, Kevin, Emily, & Matthew.  Christmas late 80s.
At the farm, late 80's.
2006
Christmas 2008
Grandpa & Grandma at their 60th Wedding Anniversary Party.  March 2009.
60th Wedding Anniversary
All of the grandkids: Leah, Emily, Matthew, & Kevin
Christmas 2011
James opening his present from Gigi



See this old post for more pics of James and Gigi together: http://sweet-baby-j.blogspot.com/2011/09/back-home-again-in-indiana.html

No comments:

Post a Comment